A few years ago during the Olympic games in Germany, a terrorist group had planned to stir up a war by kidnapping Israel’s Olympic team and holding them hostage. German special forces came to Israel’s aid. With the snipers in position and the response team ready to strike, the full moon appeared, making the appearance of the snipers visible to the terrorist group. Knowing they will be overrun by the response team or picked off by the snipers one by one, the terrorist group decided to conclude their terrorist act by blowing up their location which killed the terrorist group along with the Israeli Olympic team.
What’s interesting here is that this news was reported after the incident. After the incident means that after the incident was concluded and the German Government had been able to fully explain to the parties concerned. News in first world countries shows facts of what occurred reported briefly. Please note that what occurred means the news is reported after things had happened and not broadcasted while they are happening.
The news in the Philippines shows a major opportunity in the Philippines. If you’ve seen Philippine based news long enough you’ll notice the following:
- The news in the Philippines is much like tabloid/gossip news the usual topics are celebrity scandals and promotions, petty street crimes (to make the local live in fear and feel better by buying a product from the advertisers/sponsors), Philippine bloopers (a detailed feature on what Filipinos do wrong to make Filipinos unproductive and feel sorry for himself), Week old technology news (if you've heard tech updates from the news it's already a week old), Week old news (yes they keep the current major news on feature for a week yes an entire week for the top 2 or 3 topics), Corrupt Government official of the week (one that gets investigated but never penalized),And many more.
- As much as possible (usually means every chance they get) the news team in the Philippines will broadcast situations as they happen. If they could show a live blow by blow hostage drama incident on TV they will even if it means acting as a security camera for the hostage taker(s) they will do it.
- A news team in the Philippines will often want and every chance they get, will showcase court processes on TV most of the time.
- To extend air time the Philippine news team will sensationalize events or give a full showcase on petty crimes and make the Philippines look pathetic to the international community. Sensationalized events are usually talked about for one to two weeks after the incident where the Philippine news team is actually going to broadcast interviews of all the people not involved or concerned (i.e. the suspect/victims: parents, children, neighbors, cousins, distant relative, classmate etc.) these people are shown on TV for questioning to present cases from "all angles"
- Events that should bring dishonor to the Philippines are delivered on live telecast. Without giving the government or parties involved a chance to fix the problem.
- By taking away opportunity from most people - Fear is a good de-motivator and less people attempting risk means more opportunities for the risk takers (i.e. big businesses). The major message in the news is that it’s a dangerous world out there so try to be safe, stay at home, buy the products our sponsors are selling and you’ll be just fine.
- By improving the situation for other people - Effective entrepreneurs never complain unless they’re asking for help or have a solution. Making a profit from improving the situation of other people seems to be the best way to go.
Major Opportunity for Improvement
If you’re working for a news team, you probably know this already. I know your job is to deliver who, what, when and how but never why because that’s up to the people to think about. But please be brief when it comes to the bad news, we don’t need all the boring details of the matter. We don’t need opinions of relatives or live broadcast of the event. Stop showing images of the roadkill or reenactment of a rape scene on TV, or some guys brains on the floor. Please do not be an early warning device for terrorists by broadcasting sensitive information like live blow by blow hostage taking scenarios, courtroom drama for famous people, the Presidents exact location in a motorcade (Assassins will use this every chance they get). That is either private or can wait. Letting people know fast does not improve the situation. It merely lets people know. Stop insulting public servants, they need respect and privacy also. Its hard to work with media broadcast disgracing your name. Yes a lot of these people are corrupt, but a lot more of them are actually commendable.The parties involved need privacy to plan, correct and improve the situation.
Major business Opportunity:
If you’re an entrepreneur or investor or you want to be one you can start investing or building your business in the Philippines. Sure the news is yelling it’s not a good idea to do so but will that be your only source of information? Having only one source of information is a dangerous thing. At this point you’ll probably say well I have more than one I rely on the TV news, Radio News and Newspaper I also sometimes read news from Yahoo or Facebook. Well friend that’s not your only source. Try doing a market study in the Philippines. Talk to people who are making money. Try offering a product or a service before putting up your enterprise here. Invest small in a few places and see where that takes you.
Thank you for reading.